Wayne & Pike County are in the Pocono Mountains of Northeast PA (NEPA). Lots of snow is quite common. It is normal to find a morning surprise of six inches or more!
Mr. & Mrs. Seller, we realize that the home you have for sale in The Hideout (or Masthope, or Wallenpaupack Lake Estates) is a vacation home and may not be used year round.
HOWEVER – if your home is for sale during the winter, hire a local contractor to plow your driveway & shovel a path to your front door.
The serious buyers are out now; many are looking at lots of homes. Easy to access property shines brighter than homes screaming “STAY OUT” with an inaccessible driveway and mounds of icy, crusty snow.
Three different times this week I have had buyers grow exasperated with snowy homes. Each time, after the third or fourth house hiding behind deep snow, the buyers said “We don’t want to stop anymore unless the driveway is plowed.”
Several houses were skipped because they were inaccessible. They may be gems, but they ain’t worth a hill o’ beans if buyers refuse to trudge through another drift to get inside.
SAVVY SELLER SNOW TIPS:
- Hire someone to plow your driveway. Many contractors will quote a “season price,” plowing as often as necessary for one fee.
- Have a plastic container with ice melt on your porch, along with a handy scoop so your visitors don’t risk injury on icy steps.
- Place a large rug inside the door for visitors to wipe feet – keep in mind there may be three or more people coming in at one time.
- A cheap plastic runner through the living areas is an easy way to protect your flooring.
SAVVY HOME BUYER SNOW TIPS:
- Wear winter boots when viewing homes and property in Wayne & Pike County.
- Dress warm. Many homes are unheated.
- Bring extra socks / shoes for the drive home, in case your feet get wet!
- Many homes are “winterized,” so the bathroom will be off limits.
- Significant snowfall overnight may require rescheduling. I will only cancel if I feel our safety will be at risk. Often the Lake Wallenpaupack area gets much more snow than others!
One final note: one of my listings was shown last week. I called the agent afterward for feedback, asking: “Hey, did you guys like our nice plowed driveway?” She said “It was the ONLY ONE that was easy to get to! They LOVED it!”
Here’s the best part: they placed an offer; it’s now under contract! Coincidence? Maybe…but maybe not.
Interested in homes for sale? Click the links below for current real estate listings. Use the Search Listings page for more real estate options!