I have had a blast taking customers out to view the lake front homes for sale on Lake Wallenpaupack. I like to put my customers at ease so they can enjoy themselves and not feel pressured. Sometimes I take this casual air a bit too far…I still can’t believe I compared someone’s couch to my late golden retriever (it was the same color.) Poor Tawny, she was actually much prettier!
There are some things that you need to know if you are interested in lakefront homes on Lake Wallenpaupack. I thought I’d list them as my Friday Five for this week.
1. You will not find a level, grassy, perfect lakefront turn-key condition home with six bedrooms and three baths on an acre for under $500,000. It just isn’t going to happen.
|Aside: I do know a really cute lakefront cottage though, listed at $435,000. It’s on a quiet cove and has a great loft, a new kitchen, and a good sized deck. Like many lake front homes, you will have several steps to get to the water…but hey. The level lots are a “lot” more money!This affordable home is in nice condition and has a lot of potential. Email me about it!|
2. Phrases like “What a bargain” or “Hurry, won’t last long” can be true….or they can mean “This place needs to be completely gutted…” and “It’ll sit on the market for a year…” (but what a great investment! Sometimes, it takes vision and imagination to turn a sad little place into a Pocono Paradise!)
3. “Deeded boat slip” is really misleading. PPL approves permits for docks on Lake Wallenpaupack – regardless of what the deed says. No permit…no dock.
4. Lake Wallenpaupack is the most popular powerboat lake in the area. It is a huge draw for visitors. While some of the coves are more quiet than others, there will be motor boat traffic on the lake. Sometimes, a lot of traffic. PPL has posted rules and regulations regarding water skiing, no-wake zones, etc.
5. The Lake Wallenpaupack real estate market is steady. The market is not in crisis – though sales have slowed down a bit. Lakefront homes still sell, and there are buyers looking for them. Some sellers may be more anxious to sell than others, but very very few are “desperate.” Are you interested in the market conditions? Email me for a market report!
|BONUS TIP: If you see a home that you love, you should make an offer. The worst thing a seller can do is say “no.” If you don’t make an offer, chances are, someone else will.This happened last summer.My customers really liked one lakefront home that was listed at $599,000 when they saw it. Instead of making an offer they were comfortable with, they said, “Let’s wait and see if the price goes down. Maybe the pressure of it not selling will shake the owner up a bit.“About two months later, someone else made an offer and after negotiating, they ended up purchasing the house for $525,000. The price didn’t “come down” but it was negotiated down. That’s how real estate often works.If you really want the house, don’t wait. As your buyer agent, I will provide you with recent sold comparables to help you decide on an offer. Then, see what happens. You won’t know until you try…and chances are good that someone else will make the offer if you don’t!
SO WHAT’S FOR SALE ON LAKE WALLENPAUPACK? Here are all the current lakefronts for sale on the MLS.
Karen E. Rice is a real estate agent working in Pike & Wayne County of Northeastern PA in the Pocono Mountains. Lake Wallenpaupack is one of Pennsylvania’s most popular destinations for vacations, retirement, and purchasing a home.